Today’s featured member on the Strong Women’s Club podcast is Ramona Pierson! Ramona is the co-founder and CEO of Declara, whose mandate is to change how the world learns.
At the age of 22, Ramona Pierson was hit by a drunk driver while running and spent 18 months in a coma and 11 years blind. She relearned everything from breathing and seeing to walking and smiling. From this experience arose the drive to build companies where personalized learning and relearning were the center of all products.
Ramona is a neuroscientist and entrepreneur, having created The Source in 2005; and founded SynapticMash, which was acquired by Promethean World. She entered UC Berkeley at the age of 16, and was recruited at the age of 18 by the Marine Corps for her brilliance in mathematics and uncanny grasp of data and algorithms.
In this episode of the Strong Women’s Club you’ll hear:
- How we need to do more than talking, and start acting
- How Declara is creating a disruptive approach to learning and getting ready for web 3.0
- How people are trying to invent the future
- How Declara strives to surface knowledge and drive the collective intelligence further out into the community
- How all of us can teach something, and all of us can learn something
- How learning should be open and free for everybody
- How Ramona’s accident has formed everything she has done since then
- How people can learn by doing, and be able to articulate their learning preferences
- How Ramona recommends the book DRIVE
- How people need to be autonomous learners and innovators.
- How Ramona’s complex childhood taught her to be self-reliant, and how to experiment with knowledge
- How Ramona was leatherneck of the year! And could do 100 pull-ups!
- How her daily schedule includes waking up at 3:00am
- How being blind freed her from her fear of heights, and rock-climbing gives her a sense of freedom
- How being sent to a senior citizens home at the age of 24 was the best rehabilitation for her
- How you need to have a sense of humor, never quit, and have others that believe in you
- How we are our worse critics
- How gamification is a powerful tool in helping people to gain skills
- How regaining her sight was one of the hardest things to do
- How life is about change, and being able to shift and adapt
- How vision can get in the way of seeing
- How Declara helps people to learn from people
- How women entrepreneurs must be proactive
- How you must seek out a mentor
- How we need to empower women by purchasing products that are developed and created by women, invest and grow women’s economy and education
- How this will make a better world for both men and women
You can contact Ramona Pierson at: https://declara.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also see Ramona Pierson’s TED talk here, and read about Ramona Pierson in this Bloomberg article.
Thank you so much to Ramona for taking the time to be on The Strong Women’s Club podcast!
And thank you for listening!
You can hear more interviews with successful women on The Strong Women’s Club podcast at www.thestrongwomensclub.com